Pain Relief from (TMJ) Temporomandibular Joint Disorders
What is TMJ?
Temporomandibular joint and muscle disorders, commonly referred to as TMD or TMJ Syndrome, are a group of conditions that cause pain and dysfunction in the jaw joint and the muscles that control jaw movement.. Dr Stuart Himmelstein and his staff located in Philadelphia, PA can treat you to relive the pain.
These causes, or conditions, fall into three main categories:
- muscle/myofascial pain, which involves discomfort or pain in the muscles that control jaw function
- internal derangement of the joint, which involves a displaced disc, dislocated jaw, or injury to the jaw
- arthritis, which refers to a group of degenerative/inflammatory joint disorders that can affect the temporomandibular joint.
Common Symptoms include:
- Jaw pain or stiffness
- Difficulty or discomfort while chewing
- Painful jaw clicking
- Locking of the jaw making it difficult to open or close the mouth.
Other symptoms include
- Generalized facial pain
- Ear pain, ringing
- Neck and shoulder pain
Upper Cervical Chiropractic Care:
Upper Cervical Chiropractic is a specific speciality of chiropractic which puts its emphasis on the atlanto-occipital joint in the upper spine. This division of chiropractic has been in practice since the 1930’s. It has many positive effects on the alignment of the spine, posture and the symptoms experienced by those who suffer with TMJ. At Dr. Stuart Himmelstein’s office in NE Philadelphia, PA we use the State-of-the-Art EPAT (Extracorporeal Pulse Activation Technology).
The purpose of upper cervical chiropractic for TMJ is to reverse the damage done by the trauma that caused it.
How does it Work?
An upper cervical chiropractor corrects posture and alignment of the head, neck and spine, which can relieve painful symptoms of many disorders, including TMJ. Upper cervical chiropractic is safe, precise and gentle. When your muscles and bones are pulling evenly they each carry the weight and perform the functions they were meant to do, so they are not overly taxed or burdened with tasks and weights they were not meant to carry.